Today, I’m going to share with you 7 of my best tips to position yourself as an accounting and finance professional that gets results for your employer.
- It’s imperative you tailor your resume for the type of work you seek. If you apply for a bookkeeping role within a small business and a divisional accountant role within a large organisation, you will obviously need a different focus for each. For instance: the bookkeeping role at a small business may entail you performing all facets of bookkeeping, payroll and accounts payable / receivable. Whereas a divisional accountant role for a large firm would entail you performing higher responsibilities – such as accountability for reporting, control of assets / expenditure, staff management, etc. It would be achievements based. Thus, you wouldn’t highlight bookkeeping type of tasks.
- Ensure you include a brief company description about the companies you have worked for – this is particularly important when the company name gives no clue about the business. For instance: you may be applying for a role at a construction firm who contracts their services to the mining industry. You may have worked at Zatto Industries Pty Ltd which, on its own, says nothing at all – however, if you were to state that this was a small mining company in the outback of Queensland, then the construction firm would be highly interested in you and your skills as you have an understanding of their industry.
- When compiling your resume look at everything from the hiring manager’s point of view. Most hiring managers are interested in what you can bring to the organisation… are you a go-getter? Do you achieve cost savings for your employer? Does your resume demonstrate it? Ask yourself some pertinent questions to ensure inclusion of punchy, relevant achievements.
- It’s important you include figures. For instance: you process payroll for how many staff? You oversee an asset register comprising a fleet of how many vehicles and valued at how much? You manage the accounting function for a business which involves how many companies? Etc.
- Your Profile and Key Strengths sections should demonstrate your capabilities that are applicable for accounting / finance positions – pick out the key elements that are required which may be: analytical skills, attention to detail, good teamwork abilities, etc.
- If you haven’t been in finance related roles throughout your whole career, then tone down prior employment history. It’s irrelevant so no need to highlight it.
- And the last rule which should be applied in all instances – irrespective of one’s profession – is to target the cover letter and resume for the job you’re applying for! This may mean altering the order of relevance in relation to some key accountabilities or highlighting certain achievements over others. There is no quick fix solution; thus, you can’t always use the same resume for each and every job. You need to read each vacancy carefully and scrutinise your application – each and every time. Not taking the time to do so (or taking a “She’ll be right” attitude) will mean that you don’t impress the hiring manager as much as someone who did take the time.
Want to blow away your competition and put yourself ahead of the pack? Check out our interview-winning resume writing service. Alternatively, if you enjoy doing your own resume but want to know the secrets of real resume writers in the trade, you might be interested in our DIY solution, The Australian Resume Writer Software.
Resume Writing Services, LinkedIn Profiles,
Interview Coaching, Career Coaching
We work with you, one-on-one, to design a solution
that fits with your goals and helps you to:
Who Do We Help?
People Just Like You.
Since 1992, we’ve had great delight in providing a professional resume writing service and other career services, where we have assisted clients in almost every profession and at various stages of their career – from executives and consultants, to managers and professionals.
We’ve earned a strong reputation for providing resume writing services, LinkedIn profiles, as well as other specialised career services for people principally in:
- executive leadership and management
- sales and marketing
- communications and PR
- accounting and finance, and
- engineering related fields
In particular, we love working with people who:
- are entrepreneurial in spirit;
- have leadership accountability;
- are creative;
- work in KPI-driven roles;
- work in project-driven roles.
If strategy, creativity and results are your thing, you’ll love working with Aussie Resumes.
I commissioned Tara to re-write my résumé for me in the “Australian” format, but ended up getting a much more comprehensive professional service from Tara than I signed her up for. This included advice on how to approach the job market through a multi-tier plan, the key aspects of successful interviewing, which types of jobs to focus on etc. Even after I received a number of job offers Tara was kind enough to advise me on which opportunities would suit my skills set better and therefore have a higher probability of long term job satisfaction and career growth for me and my new country of residence.
She is friendly, punctual, an expert in her field and boasts unquestionable integrity. It is with pleasure that I recommend Tara’s services. Roelof
If you are looking for that winning edge with your resume, Aussie Resumes should be your first step, in my job I review no less than 30 resumes every two months, and I appreciate resumes that tell me what I want to know in addressing the position that’s been advertised, Aussie Resumes hits the mark – succinctly, to the point and alignment with the position being sought. Antonio
Tara embodies the highest level of professionalism and courtesy that continually strengthens with my ongoing association with Tara.
I have encouraged a number of colleagues and friends to contact Tara to engage her professional service. All personnel directed to Tara from myself have responded to me with an improved response number from job applications and direct short listing to interview process.
Recently Tara upgraded my LinkedIn profile and since my profile upgrade I have received a higher number of contacts regarding opportunities for placements. Wayne
Following her work my profile went from zero for my target role keywords to 1st position and quick contact from recruiters.
Its also good to have a supportive adviser alongside. Robert