Today, I’m going to share with you 10 of my best tips to position yourself as a sales guru.
- Just as you sell products or services for your employer, you should also be ‘selling’ yourself to a hiring manager.
- Consider yourself as a very unique product… analyse your strengths.
- When you’re selling a product or service you highlight the benefits… carefully think about how you would sell your benefits to a prospective customer. For instance, you know what your customer is seeking in a product or service. If you’re selling X Widgets which increase an organisation’s efficiency and productivity, the customer will want to know by how much – eg: X Widget increases efficiency and productivity by up to X% by doing XYZ.
- Quantify your strengths to the hiring manager – just in the same way you do when selling a product or service. For instance, if you have introduced XYZ products into the business, state what it has meant to the business – eg: by introducing XYZ products it has led to an increase in revenue by X%, and so forth.
- Your resume needs to focus on achievements.
- Consider a Key Career Highlights (or Accomplishments) section – right on the first page.
- Position your achievements and key accountabilities in a positive manner – remove any negative connotations or passive voice.
- Your Profile and Key Strengths sections should be “gung-ho” even if you don’t like that type of thing. Shout! If you don’t, chances are the other applicant is. And let’s face it; if an employer wants you out there selling X amount of Widgets they will want you to be forthright, confident, and “out there”. Your resume should be no different.
- If you haven’t held a sales-oriented role throughout your whole career, then tone down prior employment history. It’s irrelevant, so no need to highlight it. However, if you informally assisted with sales activities whilst in another position – or you helped out with a major proposal which clinched a massive deal worth X dollars over a 2-year period – then include it!
- And the last rule which should be applied in all instances – irrespective of one’s profession – is to target the cover letter and resume for the job you’re applying for! This may mean altering the order of relevance in relation to some key accountabilities or highlighting certain achievements over others. There is no quick fix solution; thus, you can’t always use the same resume for each and every job. You need to read each vacancy carefully and scrutinise your application – each and every time. Not taking the time to do so (or taking a “She’ll be right” attitude) will mean that you don’t impress the hiring manager as much as someone who did take the time.
Want to blow away your competition and put yourself ahead of the pack? Check out our interview-winning resume writing service. Alternatively, if you enjoy doing your own resume but want to know the secrets of real resume writers in the trade, you might be interested in our DIY solution, The Australian Resume Writer Software.
Resume Writing Services, LinkedIn Profiles,
Interview Coaching, Career Coaching
We work with you, one-on-one, to design a solution
that fits with your goals and helps you to:
Who Do We Help?
People Just Like You.
Since 1992, we’ve had great delight in providing a professional resume writing service and other career services, where we have assisted clients in almost every profession and at various stages of their career – from executives and consultants, to managers and professionals.
We’ve earned a strong reputation for providing resume writing services, LinkedIn profiles, as well as other specialised career services for people principally in:
- executive leadership and management
- sales and marketing
- communications and PR
- accounting and finance, and
- engineering related fields
In particular, we love working with people who:
- are entrepreneurial in spirit;
- have leadership accountability;
- are creative;
- work in KPI-driven roles;
- work in project-driven roles.
If strategy, creativity and results are your thing, you’ll love working with Aussie Resumes.
I commissioned Tara to re-write my résumé for me in the “Australian” format, but ended up getting a much more comprehensive professional service from Tara than I signed her up for. This included advice on how to approach the job market through a multi-tier plan, the key aspects of successful interviewing, which types of jobs to focus on etc. Even after I received a number of job offers Tara was kind enough to advise me on which opportunities would suit my skills set better and therefore have a higher probability of long term job satisfaction and career growth for me and my new country of residence.
She is friendly, punctual, an expert in her field and boasts unquestionable integrity. It is with pleasure that I recommend Tara’s services. Roelof
If you are looking for that winning edge with your resume, Aussie Resumes should be your first step, in my job I review no less than 30 resumes every two months, and I appreciate resumes that tell me what I want to know in addressing the position that’s been advertised, Aussie Resumes hits the mark – succinctly, to the point and alignment with the position being sought. Antonio
Tara embodies the highest level of professionalism and courtesy that continually strengthens with my ongoing association with Tara.
I have encouraged a number of colleagues and friends to contact Tara to engage her professional service. All personnel directed to Tara from myself have responded to me with an improved response number from job applications and direct short listing to interview process.
Recently Tara upgraded my LinkedIn profile and since my profile upgrade I have received a higher number of contacts regarding opportunities for placements. Wayne
Following her work my profile went from zero for my target role keywords to 1st position and quick contact from recruiters.
Its also good to have a supportive adviser alongside. Robert